Tortoise not launching on Visual Studio 2010 / Windows 8

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:41 AM
When I click the toolbar or menu items to launch history, status, commit etc nothing happens. Diff works though.

hgtk is in my path and works from a cmd prompt and a visual studio command prompt.

I have made sure the path to the solution files is simple (no spaces, hyphens etc).
Aug 17, 2013 at 3:42 AM
Edited Aug 17, 2013 at 3:42 AM
And of course I'm asking if anyone can help?

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Just to make sure: which version of TortoiseHg are you using? hgtk is from old versions I think, there isn't an executable by that name anymore.
Aug 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Aahh, we are using 1.1.7 with Mercurial 1.7.2 - probably because we don't have time spare to upgrade and deal with any issues (at work).

Is there a VisualHG version which matches these versions? or a way to get the current one to work?
Aug 20, 2013 at 4:01 AM
Is there a configuration file somewhere where the commands for each action are set?

Could I copy the tortoise executable and give it the new command name and at least get access to history and annotate?
Aug 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Did you try:
  1. Creating a symbolic link named "thg.exe" pointing to your "hgtk.exe"?
  2. Creating a batch file named "thg.bat" that calls "hgtk.exe %*"?
Aug 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I used Process Monitor to work out what it was trying to do and found it digging in registry.

I copied the registry key

and now it works - it somehow calls hgtk and does not try to call thg
Aug 22, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Sounds like you needed to install the 32-bit version of TortoiseHg as well as the 64-bit version. This is possible in recent versions of TortoiseHg - maybe in your version, you can use the 32-bit installer.
Dec 4, 2013 at 6:31 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.